With Victoria Day celebrations only a couple of weeks away, Town of Caledon Fire & Emergency Services would like to remind retailers and homeowners about their responsibilities for selling, purchasing and setting off fireworks so that the celebration can be enjoyed by everyone.
Retailers can only sell fireworks 10 days prior to Victoria Day (May 19) with a permit that is obtainable from the Fire & Emergency Services department at a cost of $100.00. Fire Prevention staff will be conducting spot inspections to verify compliance with the by-law and compliance with any other federal and provincial regulations.
The Town strictly prohibits fireworks on public property, parkland and parks, including roadways and sidewalks. Fireworks can only be set off on Victoria Day (May 19) and are restricted to private property. Discharging fireworks on any other day is in contravention of the by-law and is subject to a fine.
Fireworks Safety Instructions
- Appoint a responsible person to be in charge.
- Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
- Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
- Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
- Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
- Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container.
- Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury.
- If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.
- Wheels – Nail securely to post or fence allowing spinning clearance. These items will start trees on fire.
- Watch children carefully and always be vigilant.
See Fireworks By-law #2009-097 for full permit requirements at www.caledon.ca or contact Caledon Fire & Emergency Services at 905.584.2272 x4303.